Should the sender try to respect the receiver or should the receiver respect the sender?  This is a faulty dilemma, isn't it.  Respect should go both ways.

I try to send holiday greeting cards that reflect my values while not impugning another's religious beliefs.  So UNICEF cards and other secular cards with "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" or simply "Peace on Earth" are my choice.

And I prefer getting cards like that from family and friends.

But I get a number of religious message cards, some well into the witnessing-for-Jesus end of the continuum.  But I take no offense at them, even the ones that proclaim that Jesus is the only way to salvation.

This, of course, is entirely private conduct.

But I think that the public space is very different from the private space.  I do not see many crescent moons or stars of David being donated to the public square for the edification of us all.

Most communities I know have lots of private yards, private churches, and many other venues for displaying all sorts of religious messages.

This whole victim thing has been played well by some of those pushing their religious beliefs on the rest of us -- including the wonderful example from Rick Duncan a few years back when he asserted he was a member of the most despised religion in the country -- as a Christian!

Businesses can certainly have employees wish customers "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas."  Target and other stores that are doing this still fairly reek of Christmas in every aisle of the store.

Just more unjustifiable victimhood assertions to rally the faithful.  It is effective, but improper, and leads to a further division and striking of extreme positions by people.

Steve

--

Prof. Steven D. Jamar                               vox:  202-806-8017

Howard University School of Law                     fax:  202-806-8567

2900 Van Ness Street NW

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Washington, DC  20008   http://www.law.howard.edu/faculty/pages/jamar/

"Education:  the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty."

Mark Twain