At 05:42 PM 11/28/05 -0600, you wrote:
For what it is worth, I often say "Mazel Tov" to Christian friends precisely because the term, to my knowledge, has no religious meaning at all. It is a way of saying "congratulations." (I think that it literally means "Happy day."

I understand that it actually means "good star" (as "shlimazl" is someone born under a "bad star"). So what if someone, for religious or scentistic reasons, objects to the implied endorsement of astrology? (If there are people who object to "God bless you", I am not about to assume there are NOT militant anti-astrologists out there.)

I am unaware of any prayer in the Jewish liturgy that includes the words.) Similarly with "L'Chaim" (To life), which has no necessary religious import. But I agree with Alan that I would not wish my Christian friends a "Happy New Year" right before Rosh Hashanah because I am aware that it's not their holiday and, indeed, they might regard it as a bit bizarre, like asking them if they're having a

The Christian "new year" was on Sunday (and I like to freak the mundanes by shouting "Happy New Year!")