Steve is precisely correct on this.  The United States culture owes a great deal to Christian principles, to be sure, but also to the ancient Roman and Greek cultures, among others.     The triumphalist claims to Christian ownership or founding of this culture is hubris, not historical fact.  And I say this as a committed Christian.

Marci