As I read Rick's argument, it has consequences that extend far beyond
RLUIPA and home schooling.  Treating restrictive covenants as zoning
regulations and their enforcement as state action subjects them to the
same first and fourteenth amendment limits that constrain local
governments in enacting positive law.  Many property owners associations
routinely enforce restrictive covenants against non-covenanting parties
that would, as positive law, violate the free speech provisions of the
first amendment.  Age restrictions prohibiting occupancy by children
arguably would violate both the equal protection clause and the right of
intimate association under the first amendment.  POAs would become subject
to the procedural requirements of the fourteenth amendment.

I am sympathetic to Rick's argument; POAs regularly behave more like
authoritarian states than liberal democracies, but, save for Shelley, I
don't see any indication in state action law that supports it, and, as
Justice Scalia once wrote, "[a]ny argument driven to reliance upon an
extension of that volatile case is obviously in serious trouble."  Bray v.
Alexandria Women's Health Clinic, 506 U.S. 263, 282 n.14 (1993).

Michael R. Masinter                     3305 College Avenue
Professor of Law                        Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314
Nova Southeastern University            (954) 262-6151 (voice)
Shepard Broad Law Center                (954) 262-3835 (fax)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                       Chair, ACLU of Florida Legal Panel