The question Rick poses has been litigated; it routinely arose in the
context of age restrictions barring occupancy by children enforced against
grandparents whose grandchild moved in because of a family emergency,
Rocek v. Markowitz, 492 So.2d 460 (Fla. App. 1986) or parents who
unexpectedly became pregnant and bore a child, Pomerantz v. Woodlands
Section 8 Ass'n Inc., 479 So.2d 794 (Fla. App. 1985), rev. denied, 491 So.
2d 280 (Fla. 1986).  Congress reacted by amending the Fair Housing Act in
1988 to prohibit familial status discrimination save in subdivisions that
qualify as housing for older persons (HFOP). See Massaro v. Mainlands
Section 1 & 2 Civic Ass'n, Inc., 3 F.3d 1472 (1th Cir. 1993), but in 1995
weakened the statutory protection for families by easing the requirements
that enabled associations to qualify for the HFOP exemption.  See
generally 42 U.S.C. 3607 (b)(2).

Many POAs have abandoned enforceable age restrictions even though they
qualify for the HFOP exemption, but their motives have had little to do
with family integrity or religious freedom.  Rather, they have been driven
to abandon age restrictions by market forces -- older residents have died,
and their adult children have discovered that the property is hard to sell
and that the exclusion from the pool of potential buyers of young families
looking for starter homes reduces the market value of age restricted homes
by more than $25,000 in south Florida.

Michael R. Masinter                     3305 College Avenue
Professor of Law                        Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314
Nova Southeastern University            (954) 262-6151 (voice)
Shepard Broad Law Center                (954) 262-3835 (fax)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                       Chair, ACLU of Florida Legal Panel