From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Sun 5/21/2006 3:44 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Making a distinction

    I think the answer turns out to be yes, surprising as it might appear.
Recall that these were designated public fora (at best) -- government property
that the government had no obligation to turn over to any speakers.  If the
government opens the property to private speakers, then it may not discriminate
in viewpoint-based ways (or in content-based ways, except when the
content-based ways are necessary to enforce the government-defined limits of
the forum).

    But the government may choose to open its property, I think, only to groups
that make their programs -- and the programs' organizational committees -- open
to people without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, and so on.
 That is a designation that's neutral as to the content of the group's speech,
and as to the viewpoint of the group's speech.  The government may not impose
such a restriction as to speech on private property, or in traditional public
fora.  But when it opens its non-traditional-public-forum property, it's
entitled to require that the groups that use it use it in nondiscriminatory
ways.