Rick is the one who is cheering students who force their religion on others. And I am still waiting for the answer whether it was a Catholic or Protestant Lord's Prayer and wondering if any of the Catholics (assuming it is a Protestant version) find this offensive. I of course found either version offensive when schools forced me to say them as a child. The fact is, this is about he tryanny of the majority in a place where all children should be free to not have to worry about the school or their class mastes harrassing them about religion. There is no "tyrant" here preventing children from praying; it is a simple time place issue; public schools are not the place and when in public school is not the time to engage in religous worship. Why is that so hard to understand?

Paul Finkelman

Kurt Lash wrote:

I think that the denigration of Rick and his original post has gone a bit overboard.

As I understand the facts (and I could be wrong), the students voted on a graduation speaker and that speaker planned on including a prayer as part of her speech. In an injunction based on a suit filed only days before, the judge prohibited the student from praying. Apparently prayers were a traditional part of the ceremony, but it's not clear how they took place.

But taking the facts as known, I am not at all convinced that the Court's establishment clause jurisprudence forbids all prayers by invited private speakers (including students) at school events. Could she have been held in contempt if she declared "God have mercy on the souls of those killed in Iraq"? It seems to me that when the government opens a space for private speech, forbiding private speakers from engaging in "religion talk" raises serious First Amendment issues. It begs the question to assert "tyranny of the majority." As I tell my students, the only thing worse than a tyranical majority is a tyrannical minority--or a single tyrant. The issue is whether a supermajority of the people, at a moment in time, enshrined a principle in our constitution which justifies the injunction in this case. Unless I am wrong about the facts, I am not at all convinced that it does.

The students' action/protest not only accepted (for the moment) the court's ruling (no lynch mob here), I thougt its symbolism was quite potent: "The courts cannot silence our private religious speech." They may have acted from a religious/majoritarian impulse, but the constitutional principle involved protects both the majority and minority from unwarranted government censorship--whether by courts or by school boards, and whether the speech is secular or religious.
Kurt Lash
Loyola Law School (L.A.)

PS: There is, of course, a serious issue regarding the degree to which members of an an audience may prevent a speaker from speaking, or a ceremony from taking place, through their disruptive protests--whether religious or secular based. This issue, however, has nothing to do with the establishment issues raised by those responding to Rick's post.

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law

918-631-3706 (office)