In a message dated 5/23/2006 4:32:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

While it may be "their" commencement, it is also the commencement of all of the other students and their families present.  Should everyone be allowed to interrupt the service and impose their religious exhortation on everyone else?

        David's post mentions several important issues. I would like simply to emphasize the one quoted above. It might be in a diverse religious society--even one with an EC proscription--that the commonly owned forum needs rules to decide how it should be used. What I want to emphasize in David's post is that it seems clearly antithetical to democracy and perhaps more importantly to public order to permit or encourage unilateral action by  one faction to commandeer the forum to use for that faction's purposes alone no matter how large the faction. Those who praise such action do so, I would think, because they agree with the content of the commandeering faction's conduct.  But what will they say when they disapprove on conscientious grounds of the next faction to commandeer the forum?

Bobby

Robert Justin Lipkin
Professor of Law
Widener University School of Law