From:  "Paul Finkelman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:  <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Subject:  Re: Recommendation...
Date:  Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:28:59 -0400
Didn't Jacob have two wive and also childern with two "handmaidens" as
they were called?  I am not at the office or home, so have no Bible to
check.

Paul Finkelman

Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
      and Public Policy
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, New York   12208-3494

518-445-3386
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Marc Stern wrote:

>Jacob had four wives. And see Exodus 21:10; Deut 21:15 all of which
>assume polygamy.

In the context of an old testament that provides regulations for
virtually everything, down to what kind of fabrics to wear and what to
eat, it's hardly unreasonable to conclude that the lack of condemnation
of polygamy is evidence of God's approval. This is especially true when
he offered revelation both through and about men who engaged in
polygamy, and he allegedly gave them many blessings. What's the
alternative explanation, that it slipped his mind? That he saw fit to
tell us how to conduct ourselves in the most banal and irrelevant items
like how long to keep our hair, but couldn't be bothered to say "only
marry one person"? Or for that matter, "don't own other human beings"?
It just doesn't add up.

Ed Brayton

private.  Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private.  Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.