Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2006 5:50 PM
Subject: Re: Victory for Military Chaplains Who Pray "In Jesus Name"

Chaplain Klingenschmitt:

With all due respect, this is simple nonsense.

1.  Section 6031 does not say that military chaplains may pray "in Jesus's name," and if it did authorize such prayers in the chaplains' official capacities, it would almost certainly violate the Establishment Clause in that respect.

2.  For reasons we've discussed at great length before, chaplains have no Free Exercise rights to pray in the manner of their choosing when they are acting in their official capacities.

3.  Citing Lee v. Weisman, and only Lee v. Weisman, for the proposition that the state must permit a state employee to give a sectarian prayer in a public capacity, is just about the most absurd "reading" of a case that I've ever seen.