-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Conkle,
Daniel
O.
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2007 10:15 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Indiana License Plates

I see Steve's point, but I'm not sure I agree.  Other things equal,
would think that the existence of choice (even if skewed to a
degree)
would make the establishment clause claim weaker, not stronger.
Likewise, the existence of choice suggests that there is an element
of
personal speech here, which likewise might tend to counteract an
establishment clause argument.  I wonder if the problem--if there
is
one--is the prominence and the novelty of the license plate
displays,
which are partly personal but largely governmental speech and which
arguably go beyond the bounds of the tradition that supports the
national motto in other contexts.

Dan Conkle
Daniel O. Conkle
Robert H. McKinney Professor of Law