I don't practice in the area, but it seems to me this would severely limit the
ability of lawyers to advise clients on CO status.  Odd that something that
affects religious liberty so mightily would be changed with no public comment.
Do we have any counselors to Jehovah's Witnesses on the list who could explain
why there's little effect, if that's the case?

  Ed Darrell
  Dallas

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Just an informational item.

The Department of Defense on June 19 withdrew from publication in the
CFR the regulations concerning conscientious objection, previously
found at 32 CFR 75.

The rationale, at 72 FR 33677, is as follows:

"This document removes part 75, 'Conscientious Objectors' presently in
Title 32 of the Code of Federal Regulations. The document on which
this part was based has been revised and is limited only to DoD
personnel management matters, affects only DoD military personnel, and
has no impact on the public."

I must say that, from a research standpoint, this is rather
frustrating, although that is just my own view.

In any case, I thought this list might be interested in this
development.

Scott Idleman
Marquette University Law School