  From: Christopher C. Lund
  To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
  Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 3:29 PM
  Subject: RE: Colorado Christian University Case: EC & Compelling Interest

      I have a somewhat different take than Marty.  My sense is that this is
denominational discrimination.  If Colorado say had special reporting and
registration requirements, but only for "pervasively sectarian" schools like
CCU (but not for other religious schools), that would fall under Larson, right?

      Isn't Larson itself the root of this problem?  It was decided in 1982,
when the "pervasively sectarian" rule was in full effect.  What that rule meant
was that some denominational discrimination was not just permitted, but
constitutionally required.  Larson does not address that wrinkle.  But seeing
the "pervasively sectarian" limitation on funding as an implicit exception to
Larson's rule about denominational discrimination seems to be the only way of
squaring Larson's text with the aid cases of that era.

      I guess the question now is whether Zelman's approval of indirect aid to
pervasively sectarian institutions makes a Larson claim possible when such
institutions are excluded.  I'm not unsympathetic, but it seems a hard argument
to make, especially given the Court's rejection of the EC claim in Locke v.
Davey (fn10).