"Brownstein, Alan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

  I think that Rick is right that the City’s action would not be
unconstitutional under a true coercion test and that is why the adoption of a
coercion test by the court is so problematic. It would eliminate any
constitutional commitment to religious equality in government expression and
permit the resources of the state to be used to promote favored faiths and
denigrate others.

  Of course, averting one’s eyes and taking a few steps out of the way in no
way shields the members of minority faiths from the message the state is
communicating to them and about them with its decision.  They are told  that
their religious beliefs are not worthy of state recognition while the beliefs
of other community members are worthy of such respect.

  Of course, this is also true of persons whose religious sensibilities are
offended by the "gay pride--stop homophobia" governmental display in the park.
They are being told that their religious (and/or deeply held secular) beliefs
about homosexuality are not worthy of state recognition (indeed, the state is
saying their views are a disease that must be stopped) while the beliefs of
their ideological and religious opponents are worthy of respect.

  Yet, opponents of the gay pride display (or of a secular pledge of
allegiance) are told by the Ct that their rights are respected so long as they
are not actually coerced into affirming the objectionable message. I like a
true coercion test. The interior decorating of the public square should be
decided in the political process, not by an unelected Court sitting in a
federal enclave.

  Rick Duncan

        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
        I think that Rick is right that the City’s action would not be
unconstitutional under a true coercion test and that is why the adoption of a
coercion test by the court is so problematic. It would eliminate any
constitutional commitment to religious equality in government expression and
permit the resources of the state to be used to promote favored faiths and
denigrate others.

  Of course, averting one’s eyes and taking a few steps out of the way in no
way shields the members of minority faiths from the message the state is
communicating to them and about them with its decision.  They are told  that
their religious beliefs are not worthy of state recognition while the beliefs
of other community members are worthy of such respect.

  Alan Brownstein