David has it right: a compelling governmental interest in protecting a
discrete and insular minority -- one that is routinely victimized.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Cruz
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 8:12 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Is First Amendment viewpoint-discriminatory against antigay
speech

I too found that comment a little cryptic.  If Michael meant to be
doctrinal rather than just attitudinally predictive, my guess would be
that he didn't mean that a different First Amendment rule would apply,
but that those decisions might somehow justify a conclusion that there's
a compelling governmental interest present.  But it wasn't at all clear
to me, so perhaps Michael might clarify.

David B. Cruz
Professor of Law
University of Southern California Gould School of Law
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0071
U.S.A.