Eugene wrote:

"Mark:  Would you say that anti-abortion protests at abortion clinics are
likewise 'targeted speech,' and, if offensive enough in their viewpoint,
punishable fighting words?  What about labor picketing at plants that are being
struck?

"I realize that you might argue that this speech is less outrageous than
funeral picketing -- but for now I'm just focusing on whether you'd say that
there's a difference as to whether they are (1) targeted and (2) potentially
fighting words, both concepts that don't themselves involve an outrageousness
inquiry."

I wish I had more time to address Eugene's important question. (And even more I
wish I had more expertise and insight!) But here is an initial analysis.

The examples Eugene gives are less targeted than the funeral protests. There
typically is only one funeral (or at most a few) going on at once at a
particular cemetery, and the protest is targeted at the loved ones and friends
of a single dead soldier. The protests obviously are not targeted at the
cemetery workers; they are focused on causing distress to a particular family
(and friends).

Abortion protests target the whole facility, with a focus, in terms of the
animosity expressed, on all of the doctors and other employees of the clinic.
The protest is not targeted at a single patient or patient's family. Of course
a particular encounter between a protester and a patient or worker outside the
clinic may be focused on that patient or worker, but the overall protest is
not.

Labor picketing similarly typically is not targeted at a single person or
family but rather at the business and its managers.

I don't know that it's possible to discuss whether fighting words are involved
without discussing outrageousness. It is largely the outrage caused by
personally targeted speech that potentially makes it fighting words. Let me
say, though, that speech targeting a dead soldier's family during a funeral is
particularly likely to stir up the very strong violence-inducing emotions that
are associated with fighting words. To the extent that a balancing is involved,
of the likelihood of the stirring up of such strong emotions versus the
speaker's need to engage in targeted speech at that time and place, I'd suggest
that labor picketing and abortion protests both are aimed at those who, if
persuaded, could act directly or relatively directly on the message to change
things in the world. Abortion clinic patients (or would-be patients) and
workers could decide against having, or participating in the providing of,
abortions. Employers might decide to give the workers the contract they want,
and customers, by staying away from the business that is being picketed, may in
a relatively direct way affect the decision of the business. By contrast, the
families of dead soldiers have no direct say in the military's policy on gays
and lesbians. They have even less ability indirectly to affect such policies
than they would to affect whether we continue our involvement in Iraq -- on
that latter issue they might have an influential voice (though that still would
be much more indirect than the abortion clinic or labor picketing examples).

Mark Scarberry
Pepperdine

________________________________

Mark:  Would you say that anti-abortion protests at abortion clinics are
likewise "targeted speech," and, if offensive enough in their viewpoint,
punishable fighting words?  What about labor picketing at plants that are being
struck?

I realize that you might argue that this speech is less outrageous than funeral
picketing -- but for now I'm just focusing on whether you'd say that there's a
difference as to whether they are (1) targeted and (2) potentially fighting
words, both concepts that don't themselves involve an outrageousness inquiry.

Eugene