-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:34 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Scalia and Motive

        Not having read your article, I can't say much on the subject.
For everyone on the Court (except Justice Thomas) context -- especially
the historical meaning -- seems to matter, so one would need to know
more of the details.  The presence of a 200+-year-old chapel on campus
would pretty clear be constitutional even for the Ten Commandments
majority, and possibly also for Justice O'Connor and perhaps Souter,
Ginsburg, and Breyer.  The question is whether the same would apply to a
cross that had been there for 70 years (is that right?), and which way
the liturgical inconsistency you describe with traditional Anglicanism,
but the broader consistency between chapels and a cross, cuts.  That's
hard to tell without focusing a lot more on the historical details.