I think we have to go back to Prof. Finkelman's "realist" question:  Justice
Scalia has (both before and after Smith) voted to uphold Free Exercise claims
(Frazee, Lukumi, Locke v. Davey), but I don't believe he has EVER voted against
the government in an Establishment Clause case (including Edwards v. Aguillard,
and Santa Fe Ind. School District v. Doe, which are probably the two toughest
Est CL cases in which to side with the government during his tenure on the
Court.)  So will Justice Scalia ever see an Establishment Clause claim that he
likes?  Or does he just find reasons to vote against them all?

I'll use this question to slide into a piece of shameless self-promotion.  Gene
Nichol just resigned from the William & Mary presidency, in part over a
controversy re: his removing a cross from its default place on the altar table
in the school's chapel (the cross can be returned to the table during Christian
worship).  W & M is a state university.  Wasn't Nichol just acting as the
Constitution requires in removing that cross from its permanent place on the
altar table?  What would Justice Scalia say if the new
W & M President returns the cross to that space, and the matter is litigated?

Bob Tuttle and I have explored the question raised by the William & Mary
situation (though we of course did not focus on Scalia) in "The Cross at
College: Accommodation and Acknowledgment of Religion at Public Universities,"
available at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1090218.  I
suspect that Scalia would vote to uphold such a placement of the cross in that
chapel on some sort of "historical acknowledgment" ground, though (as we show
in the piece) that argument is very weak in this case, because the Wren Chapel
at W & M is designed to look like an 18th century Anglican chapel, and such
chapels would not have included a cross.  So the cross in that chapel is, as we
say in the piece, "glaringly anachronistic."