Eugene:

The case is Lamont v. Woods, 948 F.2d 825 (1991).  John Mansfield has a good
article about this problem in the DePaul L Rev in 1986.  And Bob Tuttle and I
discuss the problem of U.S. overseas expenditures on religion in a comment,
located here,
http://www.religionandsocialpolicy.org/legal/legal_update_display.cfm?id=26, on
US AID participation in the faith-based initiative.

Chip