I agree with Robert Lipkin that there is a thing called religion as difficult
as it may be to define. Certainly, there are things that we can confidently say
is not it.

What I have a problem with is the notion that government can be neutral among
religions or between religion or irreligion. In particular, I am skeptical that
a useful test for whether it has done so  - or has managed to come as close as
it ought to be expected to come - is captured by whether it has managed to
avoid explicitly religious language. The state lost the Sklar and Montgomery
cases because it started to talk theology (theology toward which I have a
certain amount of sympathy) but I can't see why the insult to those who read
their faith differently would be any less exclusionary or stigmatizing for the
avoidance of such language. If I am a conservative evangelical who regards
biblical injunctions against homosexuality as authoritive, I don't know why I
would regard myself as not being made a disfavored member of the political
community or not believing that the state has acted to disapprove my religious
beliefs because it has avoided theological language. To the con!
 trary, if the state engages my sacred text (even, by my lights, erroneously),
it has treated me with more respect than if it dismisses my views as bigotry.

This is why, I think, the whole defamation against religion concept is an idea
at war with itself. Those who promote the idea seem to want to say that, for
example, the  relatively mild criticisms of Islam by Mark Steyn (if you want a
different villain than CAIR, try Bill Donahue) should bear legal sanction, But,
if they are right, we need to know why secular messages that are far more
inconsistent with or dismissive of integral religious presuppositions,  e.g.,,
assertions by the San Francisco Board of Examiners about Catholic teachings on
homosexuality and the moral authority of the Church.

Rick Esenberg
Marquette University Law School