If we are talking about conflicts between gay rights and religious liberty,
surely this is a coin that has two sides to it. Many gay people see religion as
a sword that is being used to burden their liberty and equality rights. What we
have are two groups claiming basic autonomy rights with each seeing the other
side as a threat to be feared, rather than as people with basic liberty
interests that need to be accommodated. When we have one side of the debate
arguing that to avoid potential conflicts with religious liberty, gay people
should be denied the right to marry or to be protected against discrimination
in housing or employment, it is hardly surprising that the other side of the
debate is going to offer little sympathy to requests for religious
accommodation.

I continue to believe that while there will be some real conflicts between
religious liberty and gay rights in some circumstances, at a deeper level these
two assertions of autonomy rights can and should be positively reinforcing each
other. Sometimes this happens inadvertantly. The Equal Access Act has helped
gay and lesbian clubs be recognized at schools. But this was done over the
opposition of people who insisted that freedom of association and speech for
religious students should not be extended to gay students. To have the mutual
reinforcement of autonomy rights (that I think is possible) happen at a
broader, practical level, however, there would have to be some commitment to
compromise from both sides.

Minor shameless plug, Doug. Take a look at the Findlaw column (published last
Friday) that Vik Amar and I recently
wrote.

Alan Brownstein
UC Davis School of Law