From: "Engelken, Sheri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent 8/5/2008 11:02:50 AM
To: "Law & Religion issues for Law Academics" <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Subject: Conflicts between religious exercise and gay rightsReligious beliefs
can serve as justifications for many types of conduct
that we condemn, e.g., slavery, wife-beating, concubinage, genocide.
Discrimination, be it based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual
preference, or other irrelevant personal status, is to be condemned.  No
one forces service providers to run and operate places of public
accommodation.  Choosing to do so, when it flies in the face of one's
religious beliefs, is self-selected conflict.  The individual
discriminated again is not in a similar "choice" position.  And telling
victims of discrimination that they should look for alternatives --
non-discriminatory service providers -- is not a proper solution.
That's reminiscent of black Americans facing Jim Crow practices being
told "we don't serve blacks here" and having to look for and ultimately
find alternative services where such practices weren't in use.
Service providers with discriminatory religious beliefs don't face any
restriction on their beliefs from public accommodations laws.  They're
just barred from engaging in unlawful conduct, i.e., refusing to provide
a non-religious service they willingly provide to others not in the
class at issue.  This isn't about whether you have to ordain women or
allow people in the class to participate in religious activities in ways
that impinge on religious beliefs.  This is about whether providers of
non-religious services (public accommodations) should be permitted to
engage in the unlawful conduct of discrimination.
SJE
Sheri J Engelken
Gonzaga University School of Law
PO Box 3528; 721 N Cincinnati