The problem of conflicting fundamental rights is not so easy nor so fraught
with danger as some on this list would make it seem, especially Prof.
Volokh's slippery slope argument.
As another pointed out this hill has two sides-- if we allow exclusion of
n----rs because someone just doesn't like them, then we are back on the road
to apartheid, exclusion, and lynchings.  And if we allow them to be excluded
just because someone says their religion requires the adherent to treat
blacks like monkeys, or worse, the we have started down that side of the
hill on the slippery slope toward exclusion not just for religious reasons,
but for conscience, values, belief, just because -- and as history proves,
we are then on the downward trend toward Jim Crow, apartheid, and the Final
Solution.

The line today is essentially between private associations -- clubs on the
one hand, and places privately owned but serving the public on the other.
 This seems to me to be not a bad place to draw the line.  Of course it is
hard at times to apply it in some instances -- when is something a private
club and when is it a public accommodation?  And there are and should be
exclusions and exceptions from the general line -- federal law reaches only
business of a certain size, for instance, and religion is treated
differently by statute as well.

Shopkeepers can still exclude anyone at all from their businesses for no
reason whatsoever or for any number of legal reasons (no shirt, no shoes, no
service), but we have constrained their ability to exclude people based on
certain characteristics that we collectively think should not be the basis
of exclusion and that excluding on that basis causes societal harm and makes
a lie of our foundational proclamation that all are created equal and are to
be treated with equal dignity and respect just by virtue of their being
human.

While I have difficulty drawing the line with the photographer who refuses
to photograph a gay marriage on religious grounds, it is hard to find a
principle on which to distinguish that personal service from other personal
services.  What about no Catholic weddings?  Or Jewish? Or Muslim? Or
blacks?  Or "mixed"?  Or what about restricting the business to only
marriages performed by a non-clergy person?

The photographer is still free to say "no" on all sorts of non-pretextual
grounds:  "I'm busy" "I'm not working that day" "I've met you and I don't
like you" "I don't like filming in that venue" "Too far away" "Ugly dresses"
and so on.

Finally, what about the religious-objectionist to treating gays equally
working to get the religious exclusion in the statute?  Or is there
something that bars them from exercising their political rights in the
representative democracy?

Not all of these hard and close issues need to be or even should be solved
on a hard-edged, constitutional, all-or-nothing rights basis.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven Jamar
Howard University School of Law