Having statutes with apparently mandatory organizational provisions directed
at religious organizations is problematic for the reasons Doug and the other
signatories of the Connecticut letter mention. There are subtler but none
the less troubling issues if a state says that a religious organization can,
if it wishes to incorporate, use the generic nonprofit corporation law,
without providing ample "opt-out" provisions for those aspects of the normal
corporate structure that conflict with the religion's tenets. By and large,
this isn't an issue when the statute allows the charter or bylaws to
override statutory defaults, since an individual church can implement any
changes in organization later mandated by the church's denomination without
resort to any public body. Where such opt-out is lacking, though, there
might be a problem of unconstitutional conditions, since the benefits of
limited liability and perpetual existence have long since ceased to be
discretionary with the state just by virtue of its issuing a corporate
charter. When Madison vetoed the Arlington church's charter, that wasn't the
case--corporations had to be chartered by special act of the legislature.

It seems to me that income tax exemption, whether federal or state, is a
different issue entirely. Exemptions, at least at the federal level (many
states simply rubber-stamp the federal exemption), are not entirely
ministerial for the general run of nonprofit organizations (and there's no
requirement that the organization be incorporated). It seems that the only
mandatory provisions noted on Form 1023 regarding organizational structure
require a statement of exempt purpose and a commitment to using the
organization's assets solely for exempt purposes on dissolution. I'm not
aware of cases where these requirements have been challenged by anyone on
religious grounds. I'm also not sure whether the organization would have to
satisfy the same "non-inurement" tests that, say, an educational or civic
organization would; if so, these might provide grounds for religious
objection.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Friedman, Howard M. <
hfri...@utnet.utoledo.edu> wrote:

>  Probably the earliest development of the corporate form in Roman law and
> English law was the "corporation sole" that permitted property to pass from
> one bishop to the next when the bishop died. This avoided the inheritance
> problems that would be present if title were held in the personal name of
> the bishop.  Some of the same issues would likely arise if religious
> entities today tried to operate in non-corporate form. Beyond this, do we
> really want clergy holding property, often purchased with funds from their
> congregants, in their own names with the potential for abuse that this could
> pose? Also, to the extent that religious corporation statutes impose greater
> restrictions on incorporated churches than are imposed on other
> incorporated non-profits and charities, isn't there an equal protection
> problem?
>
> Howard Friedman

Vance R. Koven
Boston, MA USA