From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu [religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu]
On Behalf Of Douglas Laycock [layco...@umich.edu]
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 2:21 PM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: Same-sex marriage and religious exemptions

Thanks Chip; that's helpful information.  Of course it hasn't passed yet, but
maybe it will, and with appropriate exemptions.

The other way to read that is that it highlights the advantages of doing a deal
in Congress instead of in the 50 states.  State legislation gay rights tends
either not to pass (in red states), or to pass with very narrow exemptions (in
blue states).  I won't claim that there are no exceptions, but surely that's
the dominant trend at the state level.