One version of ENDA that was proposed in 2007 contained significantly narrowed
protections for religious entities.  The following post from Melissa Rogers
does a good job of describing the narrowed protections and many of the related
issues.  I would add to her thoughts that the narrowed protections would end up
excluding most if not all parachurch organizations that have
non-proselytization policies (e.g. WorldVision or Catholic Charities), because
none of the employees of those organizations have the "primary" duty of
teaching or spreading religious beliefs.

I don't know what the political prospects of this particular version of the
religious protection in ENDA is, but the mere fact that this version was
proposed by ENDA's sponsors suggests that there are non-trivial legislative
prospects for protections significantly narrower than those in Title VII.

http://melissarogers.typepad.com/melissa_rogers/2007/09/congress-may-so.html

A New Twist on ENDA's Religious Exemption Raises Questions and Concerns
(Updated)

Joseph Goldstein reports on a new twist to the religious exemption in a piece
of legislation that would prohibit employment discrimination against gays.  It
is known as the Employment Non-discrimination Act (ENDA).  According to the
piece, "[t]he bill, known as H.R. 2015, is scheduled to be debated before the
subcommittee this morning."

    A bill that, if passed, would become the first federal law to prohibit
employment discrimination against gays contains a broad exemption for religious
organizations. But to qualify for that exemption, religious groups would have
to declare "which of its religious tenets are significant" and must be adhered
to by employees. Lawyers say this requirement could put pressure on religious
organizations to state a doctrinal prohibition against homosexuality in order
to continue to legally exclude gay job applicants.

    "This is something new," a law professor at George Washington University,
Ira Lupu, said. The effect of such a law, Mr. Lupu said, would be that "there
is no more First Amendment right to be exempt unless you want to tell us that
making us hire these people is really in conflict with our religious
commitments." . . .

    If passed, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act would carry a blanket
exemption for the hiring practices of religious congregations, as well as
schools with a primary purpose of worship. Summer camps, nursing homes, soup
kitchens, charities, and other institutions linked to a congregation would not
be exempt, unless they made a declaration of significant "religious tenets."

    It is not clear whether such a declaration would need to be made up front,
such as in the form of a disclaimer on a job application form, or could be made
in court filings in response to discrimination suits.

The latest language for this exemption is news to me, and my initial take is
that it raises a range of serious legal and policy questions and concerns.  The
text of the new exemption is here.   It says:

    In General -- This Act shall not apply to any of the employment practices
of a religious corporation, association, educational institution, or society
which has as its primary purpose religious ritual or worship or the teaching or
spreading of religious doctrine or belief.

    Certain Employees -- For any religious corporation, association,
educational institution, or society that is not wholly exempt under subsection
(a), this Act shall not apply with respect to the employment of individuals
whose primary duties consist of teaching or spreading religious doctrine or
belief, religious governance, supervision of a religious order, supervision of
persons teaching or spreading religious doctrine or belief, or supervision or
participation in religious ritual or worship.

    Conformity to Religious Tenets -- Under this Act, a religious corporation,
association, educational institution, or society may require applicants for,
and employees in, similar positions conform to those religious tenets that such
corporation, association, institution, or society declares significant.  Under
this Act, such a declaration by a religious corporation, association,
educational institution or society stating which of its religious tenets are
significant shall not be subject to judicial or administrative review.  Any
such declaration made for purposes of this Act shall be admissible only for
proceedings under this Act.

One of my concerns about this new language is that it would appear to force
certain religious institutions to decide and declare what for them is a
theological matter.  It makes me very uneasy to think about the government
forcing religious institutions to decide and declare their stance on
theological issues.  We aks conscientious objectors to declare themselves so
that they won't have to fight in a war, but my initial take is that this seems
different.  For one, this exemption deals with an institution, not an
individual.  And thus any statement on these issues will require a judgment by
a religious body.

To complicate matters, the issue of homosexuality is obviously a delicate and
divisive issue within and among religious institutions, and it is one where
judgments may change somewhat over time.  As the Sun article notes:

    In many congregations, there are deep divisions about what their religion
says regarding homosexuality. Across the nation there would likely be divisions
within individual congregations about whether church funds should be used to
hire homosexuals. In congregations such as these, the new bill would require a
firming up or a rapid formulation of such policies.

    "These organizations may be perfectly happy with a sort of don't ask and
don't tell policy," the general counsel of the American Jewish Congress, Marc
Stern, said, "but this may force groups to take one side or the other."

(Now, the bill states that any religious group that "has as its primary purpose
religious ritual or worship or the teaching or spreading of religious doctrine
or belief" is exempt without a declaration, so assumedly churches and other
houses of worship would not have to do so.  But other religious groups might
have to make a declaration.)    Do we really want the government forcing
religious groups' hands on these issues?

Further, some the legislative language itself sets off alarm bells.  The
religious group must "stat[e] which of its religious tenets are significant. .
. ."  Uh, all of them?  But seriously, must the religious organizations explain
to the government how it gets from sacred scripture to its particular stance on
this issue?  Perhaps not.  But then what kind of statement must it make, and
when, and to whom?  What must the religious organization do if its position
changes?  What if organizations have a more complex way of handling these
issues than simply saying, "We don't hire gay people due to our religious
beliefs"?  How much do these kinds of religious organizations have to explain
to the government?

The story hits on most of my other concerns:

    That a law would call on a religious organization to make a declaration of
"religious tenets" to qualify for an exemption would itself likely come under a
First Amendment challenge, lawyers say. Courts have long been deeply hesitant
to ask which tenets are central to a certain religion.

    Over the years, the religious exemption has shrunk in various versions of
the bill, Mr. Stern said. In 2001, the bill, as it was introduced in the House,
contained a more straightforward exemption: "This Act shall not apply to a
religious organization."

    The newly stated religious exemption in the current version of the bill has
drawn the notice of a variety of religious organizations. In a letter sent
yesterday to the House subcommittee on health, employment, labor & pensions,
representatives of the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America, the
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, and the General Conference of
Seventh Day Adventists said they have "serious concerns" about the current
version of the bill "due to its substantial revision of the religious exemption
provision."

    The letter does not go into further detail about objections, except to say
"it leaves religious institutions with insufficient protection from the
infringement of their religious liberties."

At least some of the bill's supporters are trying to suggest that this new
language isn't a big deal.

    "It's my intention to see this bill enacted," the chairman of the
subcommittee, Robert Andrews, a Democrat of New Jersey, said in a telephone
interview yesterday.

    He said that in the current version of the bill the religious exemption "is
not broadened or narrowed, but restated."

I don't think that kind of explanation is going to fly.  There needs to be a
closer look at this new language and its ramifications.

I also would ask the supporters of this language:  Do you really think it helps
your cause to get the government to force certain religious groups to make this
decision?  And do you really think this is going to help ENDA get passed?  I
haven't been following this closely lately, but I thought ENDA had a pretty
good chance of passing both chambers in the near future.  This would seem
likely to complicate matters.  For a variety of reasons, my sense is that this
legislation should contain a broad exemption for religious groups so as to
allow them to come to their own conclusions on this matter in their own time.

(By the way, this post does not address a situation where, for example, a
religious social service group that receives a government grant makes
employment decisions regarding government-funded jobs.  That would require a
different analysis.)

There's more I'd like to say about this matter, but my schedule doesn't permit
it.  I may update this post later with more thoughts and information.

UPDATE: Testimony submitted by Tom Berg and the Christian Legal Society
addresses a wider set of questions and concerns about this exemption.  It can
be found here.

September 05, 2007 | Permalink