From: Ira (Chip) Lupu <icl...@law.gwu.edu>
Subject: Re: Bowman v. U.S.
To: "Law & Religion issues for Law Academics" <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Date: Monday, May 4, 2009, 9:55 AM

Bob Tuttle and I prepared an extended analysis (for the Roundtable on Religion
and Social Welfare Policy) on Bowman v. U.S. at the time of the district
court's decision in the case.  The government's position seemed quite out of
line with the GWB Faith-Based Initiative, but the outcome does seem correct
under Locke v. Davey.  And this is a program for retirement credit for former
members of the Armed Forces -- hard to see any better free speech claim here
than there was in Locke (where the claim was summarily rejected).  Our
analysis is here:
http://www.religionandsocialpolicy.org/legal/legal_update_display.cfm?id=62

Chip