Alan:  I'm a bit puzzled here.  First, is there really much in
common between teachers (at least what they say in the classroom, as
opposed to one-on-one career counseling or some such) and doctors or
psychotherapists?  If teachers are to be treated as similar to doctors
and psychotherapists, then presumably the government would have vast
authority not only over public education and publicly-funded private
education, but purely privately funded private education as well, yes?
I would have thought that professional-client speech restrictions,
whatever First Amendment problems they might provide, are at least
separate from the mainstream of First Amendment doctrine, and the speech
of teachers is well within that mainstream (though subject to
restriction in some measure when the teachers are government employees).
Am I mistaken on that?

        Second, why is "analyzing regulations of" "sermons from the
pulpit" "under a free speech paradigm" not "going to work"?  Even if
ministers have extra rights under the Free Exercise Clause (which I
doubt), surely they have Free Speech Clause rights, and rights that are
the same as those of other speakers, no?

That is different
> from the abstract treatment of learning as nothing but a discourse of
speech.
> Marci

forward the