I think the discussions of Snowball and Marci's post reflect two very different
kinds of religious liberty issues. Marci, and others who express concerns about
religious liberty exemptions, often focus on situations where the state has a
very strong interest in denying the exemptions that are sought.  I have no
doubt that some claims for religious exemptions should be and will be denied
and understand why people would support a standard of review that permits such
denials to be upheld if they are challenged.

I, and others on this list who criticize Smith and support some form of
meaningful review of neutral laws of general applicability that substantially
burden religious practice, focus on situations where exemptions are denied for
trivial and unpersuasive reasons (assuming that one accepts that the burdening
of religious exercise constitutes a serious cost) or invidious or
discriminatory motives. Marci's position is, I think, that these situations are
rare and that they can always be satisfactorily resolved through political
channels without the need for judicial intervention.  I believe these
situations are more common, that they are not always successfully resolved
politically, and that the burden of resolving them politically has its own
problems and consequences.

But whether one agrees with my assessment or not on this latter issue, this
issue has little if anything to do with the first  issue - religious liberty
claims that conflict with important state interests that may justify their
denial. The merits of one's position on the first issue do not respond to or
serve as a counterpoint to the second issue.

The Ninth circuit standard in Snowball, in my judgment, precludes RFRA review
when government takes away or prevents access to physical things that have
religious significance or are needed for religious exercise. That can be land,
a religious object, or even the human body. By focusing on coercion through
penalties, Snowball ignores the other powers that government may exercise that
interfere with religious freedom by using, controlling or preventing access to
the physical world. If a state prison refuses to deliver rosary beads that are
sent to an inmate and returns them to the sender, no one is ordered to act in a
way that is inconsistent with his faith or punished for his religious practice.
If an autopsy is performed in violation of a family's religious beliefs, no one
is ordered to act in a way that is inconsistent with his faith or punished for
his religious practice. If sacred land is desecrated,  no one is ordered to act
in a way that is inconsistent with his faith or punished for his religious
practice. I think these situations are concrete. The fact that some of them may
seem unusual to many people simply reflects the reality that they involve the
religious beliefs of faiths with fewer members - which is one of the reasons
why they are more likely to be ignored or considered inconsequential by
government.

Alan Brownstein