It would have been rather shocking if this had been a murder conviction, but
it wasn't. Murder requires intent to do injury, and obviously, the
parents--if their testimony was accepted--had no such intent. This was in
effect negligent homicide, which is quite bad enough, and certainly
consistent with the Christian Science cases.
A related thought: although prevention of death or serious bodily injury to
third parties is about as compelling an interest as one can imagine, even
outside the Smith zone, overriding religious-freedom objections, at what
stage does the government interest fade sufficiently to bring the interest
in religious freedom to the forefront? Social or psychological injuries?
Minor bruising? For example, it seems fairly uncontroversial now for
religious parents to home-school children despite any putative social
isolation, while corporal punishment is either in a gray area or actively
persecuted. I can imagine a degree of purely verbal browbeating intended to
inculcate personal humility, a virtue in many religious traditions, that
would offend outsiders. Are there any objective standards that can be
brought to bear here, or do the mores of the chattering classes always
prevail?

Vance

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Steven Jamar <stevenja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some time ago the mother was convicted of murder, and now the father has
> been convicted as well.  Their daughter had undiagnosed diabetes and when
> she could not walk, talk, eat, or speak, they still did not take her to the
> hospital, but prayed instead.  He describes himself as a born-again
> Christian and had studied to become a Pentacostal minister.
> AP story this morning in the Washington Post:
>
> *WISCONSIN*
>
> *Treatment by Prayer Results in Conviction*
>
> A Wisconsin jury Saturday found a father guilty of killing his daughter by
> praying instead of getting her medical care.
>
> Dale Neumann, 47, was charged with second-degree reckless homicide in the
> March 2003 death of his 11-year-old daughter, Madeline, from undiagnosed
> diabetes. Prosecutors say he should have taken the girl to a hospital
> because she couldn't walk, talk, eat or speak.
>
> Neumann testified during his trial that he expected God to heal his
> daughter and didn't believe she would die. He has described himself as a
> born-again Christian who once studied to be a Pentecostal minister.
> Neumann's wife, Leilani, was convicted on the same charge in the spring and
> is scheduled for sentencing Oct. 6. Both face up to 25 years in prison.
>

> --
> Prof. Steven D. Jamar                     vox:  202-806-8017
> Associate Director, Institute of Intellectual Property and Social Justice
> http://iipsj.org
> Howard University School of Law           fax:  202-806-8567
> http://iipsj.com/SDJ/
>
> Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger
> at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way
> they are.
> *-- Augustine of Hippo.*

Vance R. Koven
Boston, MA USA