From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Roger Severino
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 12:41 PM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: RE: The impropriety of religious exemptions to child abuse laws

       Let's shift the hypo a little bit and presume that the ban is
written as follows "all circumcisions performed on male children under
age 16 for ceremonial purposes are hereby prohibited in the state of
California."  Would the state be justified in such a ban or would we
have a Lukumi problem?

       Or, what if the statute simply banned all circumcision done for
"non-medical" reasons.  Would this still conflict with the principles
laid out in Fraternal Order of Police? ("we conclude that the
Department's decision to provide medical exemptions while refusing
religious exemptions is sufficiently suggestive of discriminatory intent
so as to trigger heightened scrutiny under Smith and Lukumi.").  I
suppose a ban on all brain surgery done for "non-medical reasons"
wouldn't pose a problem, but when a practice is so closely tied to a
particular religious expression, and when the health risks are fairly
low or up for debate, I wonder if this changes the analysis.  Wisconsin
v. Yoder comes to mind, which was premised on the Free Exercise rights
of parents to keep their children out of high school regardless of the
child's (or the state's) wishes.

-Roger Severino