Quite apart from Justice Breyer's view of the matter, the all comers policy
does seem fantastical since it wasn't cited by Hastings until after the matter
was in suit and recognized student organizations had all sorts of limitations
on who could become voting members or officers. One even had a racial
exclusion. All were unrenarked upon by Hastings until this case came along.
While I understand that the plaintiffs stipulated that that this was in fact at
least one policy, it does seem like a contrivance (which doesn't mean it can be
upheld).

It is certainly the case that lawyers ought to learn to see (or, better put,
understand the arguments on all sides of an issue) but it seems unlikely that
an all comers policy will serve that end. Either no dissenters will join CLS,
i.e., the takeover will not happen either due to incentives for cooperation or
some other reason (in which case the all comers policy serves no real purpose)
or they will in which case the group's message will be bent to the consensus.
While that might happen because CLS members will be persuaded to abandon their
retrograde ways, it seems just as likely - if not more likely - that the
group's message will be diluted by the inclusion of those who don't share it.
The end result is not to encourage diversity of viewpoints but to drive the
range of viewpoints to those held by a consensus of students or, perhaps more
accurately, a consensus of those students who find the expression of divergent
points of view to be offensive or discriminatory.

In any event, requiring CLS to accept those with differing points of view as
voting members (as opposed to permitting them to attend and participate in CLS
events as is already the case) is hardly the least restrictive alternatives.

Of course, the case goes beyond Rosenberger's facts, but not necessarily its
rationale. Hastings policy discriminates against creedal groups, i.e., those
who define themselves by the desire to adhere to and promote some particular
viewpoint. It is certainly an extension of the law to say that Rosenberger's
prohibition against restricting participation in a forum to viewpoints about
temporal matters might also cover restricting participation to those who insist
on no particular point of view, but I am not sure it is an unreasonable one.

Rick

Professor Rick Esenberg
Marquette University Law School
Sensenbrenner Hall 321C