I appreciate Mark's framing, and I agree that some courts might take
this view.  But doesn't this illustrate the malleability and indefiniteness of
the exception / nonexception line (something that Fred Schauer has pointed to
in the past)?  If the policy is seen as paying only for time worked, then
parental leave may indeed undermine this policy.  Paid vacation and sick leave
are a different matter, since 10 days' vacation and 7 days' sick leave out of,
say, a 250-day work year still means that everyone who works a year gets paid
pretty much the same year's wages.  Not so for parental leave, which is taken
at different rates by different employees.

        On the other hand, if paid parental leave is a "fringe benefit," then
an exemption from a no-beards policy for people who have medical problems is
likewise a benefit:  It (1) makes the job easier for some people, and (2) thus
makes the job more attractive to those people.  But both also represent, I
think, some judgment of sympathy or support for the particular benefited
activity: a sense that medical problems, as well as parenting, are something
that's worth accommodating even at some cost to government interests.  So again
I'm not sure what principled basis the courts can use to draw a distinction
here.