I  guess I just disagree that the parental leave policy would be viewed as an
exception to the work-for-pay policy, rather than as an affirmative policy
designed to subsidize childbirth and parenting of employees.

If the policy is an affirmative one (as I view it), then it is not
underinclusive, because all parents with infants are covered.

How about a govt employer who allows paid leave for parents to attend
parent-teacher conferences in public schools, but not private schools. If I am
denied leave to attend a conference at my daughter's private religious school,
do I have a Fr Ex claim under a law that is not generally applicable?

Cheers, Rick

Rick Duncan
Welpton Professor of Law
University of Nebraska College of Law
Lincoln, NE 68583-0902

"And against the constitution I have never raised a storm,It's the scoundrels
who've corrupted it that I want to reform" --Dick Gaughan (from the song,
Thomas Muir of Huntershill)