From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:12 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: N.J. public transit employee fired for blasphemy

        As I understand it, there has been some debate about this issue (though
generally as to lost business and social opportunities, not as to violence) in
libel law.  For instance, as I understand it there has been some controversy
about whether falsely claiming someone is black is defamatory; more recently,
the same matter came up with regard to false claims that someone is gay.
Should the likelihood that people will shun someone because of such
allegations, even if the court thinks it's wrong for them to do so, suffice to
allow recovery?  There's a split of authority on that, if I recall.

        But it seems to me that this question, interesting as it is, arises
chiefly as to knowingly false statements of fact precisely because those
statements are independently unprotected, at least when said about a particular
person.  (For instance, even if they are not defamatory, they may still be
actionable as false light invasion of privacy.)  I realize that this is what
Eric's explanation of the "falsely shouting fire" example involved, so I'm not
faulting Alan for taking that up.  But I just don't think that this analysis
tells us much when it comes to the reactions to true statements, or to
statements of opinion.