The issue Alan raises has come up in the debate over "defamation of religions"
because many European countries have laws regarding incitement to racial or
religious hatred, many of which were designed during the post-war period to
respond to Nazi tactics against Jewish Germans.  These incitement laws would
have trouble being applied in the US unless they qualified under Brandenburg.

But I don't think what we are talking about with respect to defamation of
religions, or burning the Koran or Talmud (apparently Pastor Jones wanted to
burn both) is really "incitement."  There is a big difference between (1) A
saying to B "C is evil, C should be killed"and then B goes out and tries to
kill C; and (2) A saying to B "your religious beliefs are wrong" and B responds
by trying to kill A (or innocent third parties C or D, if they happen to be
closer).

Situation (1) is what is typically meant by incitement and is a lot closer to
conspiracy to commit a crime; one can envision some scenarios where A could be
held liable. Situation (2) is what French law calls "provocation"; under French
law (and several other Continental legal systems) such a provocation might give
grounds for tort liability but it would not justify B's retaliating with
violence.  I don't see how in situation (2), even when B predictably riots and
kills innocent third parties C or D, A can be held responsible for B's actions.
B is the agent at fault, not A.

There are also some interesting parallels to the crime-facilitating speech
issue that Eugene has written about, though I have not really thought those
through.