From: "Brownstein, Alan" <aebrownst...@ucdavis.edu>
Sender: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:57:56
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics<religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Subject: RE: Billing controversial speakers for security costs incurred by
        city:   1st Am violation?

There is a more commonplace example of a policy that makes houses of worship of
unpopular faiths pay additional fees because of the reaction of neighbors to
their activities. Many cities require all landowners, including houses of
worship, to sign indemnity agreements as a condition to the government
considering changes to their conditional use permit or other land use
regulations. The agreement requires the house of worship to indemnify the city
for the cost of reviewing the house of worship's proposal (including city staff
time at hearings), any costs the city may incur in defending itself against a
lawsuit if the permit is granted, and any damages the city may pay if its
decision is held to be unlawful. Obviously, the more local opposition that
exists to the house of worship's proposals (at least some of which may be
predicated on opposition to the faith of the congregation seeking the permit),
the greater will be the costs to the city in evaluating the proposal and the g!
 reater the costs to the house of worship.

Are these indemnification agreements constitutional under Forsyth County v.
Nationalist Movement when they are applied to land uses engaging in First
Amendment protected activity?

Alan Brownstein