It is reported that the city of Gainesville, Florida is planning to bill
Terry Jones for the costs of providing security for his church and the
surrounding neighborhoods in light of his announced plan to burn a
Quran. See
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/17/florida.quran.pastor/index.html?hpt=T2.

I have not followed the cases dealing with imposition of security costs
on controversial speakers. It seems Jones typically has spoken on his
church's property, and has not held the kind of rally or parade with
respect to which it might be more reasonable to bill the speaker for
security costs (and trash pickup, etc.). But, as I said, I haven't
followed the relevant cases. Perhaps someone on the list would have some
insight here. Of course, one way to shut up controversial speakers would
be to make their speech very expensive in this way.

Mark Scarberry
Pepperdine