Perhaps there is a connection between the Supreme Court's adoption in Thomas of
this principle of individual self-determination of religious belief, and the
almost-immediate decline of free exercise protection in the Supreme Court
(Thomas, 1981; Lee, 1982; Bob Jones, 1983; Goldman, 1986; Bowen, 1986; Lyng,
1988; Jimmy Swaggart, 1990; Smith, 1990).  The only exceptions to the trend are
Hobbie (1987) and Frazee (1989), both in the accepted and limited context of
Sabbath observance and unemployment compensation.

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053