I thought I'd ask list members what they thought about this.  Here's my post on
the subject, in case it's of interest - I'd love to hear whether others on the
list agree.

http://volokh.com/2010/11/09/district-court-temporarily-enjoins-oklahoma-no-use-of-shariah-law-in-court-constitutional-amendment

District Court Temporarily Enjoins Oklahoma No-Use-of-Sharia-Law-in-Court
Constitutional
Amendment<http://volokh.com/2010/11/09/district-court-temporarily-enjoins-oklahoma-no-use-of-shariah-law-in-court-constitutional-amendment/>

Eugene Volokh<http://volokh.com/author/volokh/> * November 9, 2010 2:12 pm
Edit<http://volokh.com/wp/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&post=39134>

The decision was announced yesterday, but the
opinion<http://www.politico.com/static/PPM152_101109_Sharia_tro.html> was
apparently just released today. This is just a temporary restraining order,
entered without even any written argument from the state; there'll be a hearing
on the request for the longer-lasting preliminary injunction on Nov. 22.

You can also see the plaintiff's
Complaint<http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.okwd.78637/gov.uscourts.okwd.78637.1.0.pdf>
 and Memorandum in
Support<http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.okwd.78637/gov.uscourts.okwd.78637.2.0.pdf>.
 Thanks to Josh
Gerstein<http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshgerstein/1110/Judge_details_rationale_for_halting_antiSharia_Law_measure.html>
 (Politico) for the pointer.

UPDATE [3:06 pm]: I'm no fan of the
amendment<https://www.sos.ok.gov/documents/questions/755.pdf?7,7>, which would
also apparently ban the use of foreign
law<http://volokh.com/2010/03/19/oklahoma-house-of-representatives-proposes-ban-on-use-of-foreign-law-in-oklahoma-courts/>
 in Oklahoma courts, even in situations - such as disputes about whether two
people were validly married in a foreign country, enforcement of contracts that
provide for the use of (say) British law, and tort litigation over conduct that
happened in a foreign country - where foreign law has long been used under
standard choice-of-law principles. And it's also possible that the specific ban
on the use of Sharia law might be unconstitutional, though that depends on
exactly how the amendment is interpreted. But my tentative sense is that the
plaintiff doesn't have standing to challenge the ban on the use of Sharia.

1. The plaintiff
argues<http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.okwd.78637/gov.uscourts.okwd.78637.2.0.pdf>
 that the amendment is unconstitutional because it impermissibly expresses
governmental hostility to Islam, and provides for discrimination against
Muslims. But the mere existence of the law does not, I think, amount to a
constitutionally sufficient injury on which a lawsuit can be founded. (That's
the legal requirement of "standing.")

It's true that the Supreme Court has sometimes allowed standing in
Establishment Clause cases based on symbolic injuries. But the Court has never
allowed standing simply based on the existence of a law that allegedly conveys
an impermissible message of endorsement, and lower courts have not accepted
such claims. See Newdow v. Lefevre (9th Cir.