The court could apparently comply with the contract, and avoid all entanglement
iwth religion, by appointing three Saudis.  Does anybody see a  problem with
that?

I assume that all Saudis are Muslim, or at least that the percentage is so high
that the odds of appointing a non-Muslim Saudi are negligible.

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 12:34:05 -0500
 Eric Rassbach <erassb...@becketfund.org> wrote:

>Here is the relevant provision (in translation) from the case-link Eugene sent
>around:
>
>The Arbitrator must be a Saudi national or a Moslem foreigner chosen amongst
>the members of the liberal professions or other persons. He may also be chosen
>amongst state officials after agreement of the authority on which he depends.
>Should there be several arbitrators, the Chairman must know the Shari'a,
>commercial laws and the customs in force in the Kingdom.

Douglas Laycock
Armistead M. Dobie Professor of Law
University of Virginia Law School
580 Massie Road