Douglas Laycock
Armistead M. Dobie Professor of Law
University of Virginia Law School
580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, VA  22903
     434-243-8546

  --- the forwarded message follows ---
--- Begin Message ---
Doug, for some reason my message to the list was just bounced back, so
here's what I meant to say -- the Department of Defense (through the Armed
Forces Chaplaincy Board), using religion-neutral and fairly modest criteria,
approves endorsing organizations which, in turn, certify that particular
candidate for chaplaincy are authorized to perform religious services within
their faith tradition.  Not too long ago, the DC Circuit resolved the last
of the lawsuits over the Navy's policies on promotion or retention of
chaplains (Chaplaincy of the Full Gospel Churches), and the Navy disavowed
reliance on faith tradition as basis for chaplains personnel decisions.

Bob

--
Robert Tuttle
Professor of Law