Is "contract law" shorthand?  Or should we spell out all provisions of the UCC
and common law contract of the particular state?  Or can we just say "law of
the state of North Carolina"?

If we can say "law of North Carolina" will govern, we can also say "law of
France" or "law of Saudi Arabia" or "law of the Vatican".  And if one or more
of those happen to be religious law, that is just what is going on and the
court must interpret that law, whatever its source or external characterization
just as it would any other law.

Most legal systems do not require that ridiculous thing called "consideration"
as part of the contract formation process.  So what?  From within any legal
system one can determine the existence of non-existence of a contract (or
judicially enforceable agreement if you prefer).  It doesn't matter whether
that is the sharia or civil law or any other legal system.

There remain many points of contention about what the law is in the common law
and even more about how to apply it in a given setting -- even in a mature area
like contracts.  Same is true in other legal systems.  No big deal.  For the
commercial contract, the court can figure out what the law is and apply it
--even if it includes principles analogous to unconscionability  as part of the
understanding of the contract law.

It is not establishment.  It is not interpreting doctrinal disputes among
churches with legal consequences -- it is resolving a contract dispute using
the choice of law of the parties.  End of line.  This is no more establishment
than is applying any choice of law provision.  Like all choice of law
provisions, however, the forum state will always be able to ignore particular
bits of the foreign law that are against public policy in the forum state.
that is a universal part of choice of law standards, howsoever varied choice of
law rules themselves are.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar                     vox:  202-806-8017
Associate Director, Institute for Intellectual Property and Social Justice

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles
and misguided man."

- Martin Luther King Jr., "Strength to Love", 1963