From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu [religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu]
On Behalf Of Nathan Oman [nate.o...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 11:44 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: May American court appoint only Muslim arbitrators,
pursuant toanarbitrat...

I agree with what Steven says here, but with some additions.  First, generally
foreign law is treated as a question of fact rather than a question of law.
This means that the courts don't make their own independent judgment about the
content of UK law or the like but are supposed to take evidence from experts
etc.  This means that the question of religious law must be a question of fact
not of religious doctrine.  To give a concrete example from Islamic law, it is
a question of fact whether the Hanbali school of Islamic jurisprudence allows
mut'a marriages (temporary marriages for a fixed term).  It is NOT a question
of fact (or at least a question of fact that a court can inquire into) whether
mut'a marriage is truly Islamic.  (Shias generally say yes; Sunnis generally
say no).  It seems to me that courts should be free to pass judgment on the
first question but ought to be constitutionally prohibited from passing
judgment on the second question.  Whether a contract referencing Islamic law is
asking the first sort of question or the second sort of question is a matter of
interpretation that depends on the facts of the transaction.  There are,
however, good reasons for supposing that it is pretty unlikely that a
commercial contract involving the application of Saudi law is asking the second
sort of question rather than the first sort of question.
Nathan B. Oman
Associate Professor
William & Mary Law School
P.O. Box 8795
Williamsburg, VA 23187
(757) 221-3919

mistaken." -Oliver Cromwell

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Steven Jamar