Perhaps it was a Consumer fraud issue? to assure that the consumers were really getting Kosher food when it was so advertised?

Lisa

On 1/5/2011 1:00 PM, Nathan Oman wrote:
According to the story below, NY has decided to nix its Kosher inspectors as a way of spending money. Does anyone know the details (and citation) for the 2004 case mentioned in the article? Also, I am wondering what precisely the inspectors after the decision. Finally, does anyone know why the inspectors were set up in the first place? Why wasn't the issue simply solved by having private kosher audits by reputable bodies? The idea of a state Kosher inspector just seems perverse and unnecessary to me. What am I missing?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704735304576058100916662270.html?mod=WSJ_hps_sections_newyork
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lisa A. Runquist
Runquist&  Associates
Attorneys at Law
17554 Community Street
Northridge, CA 91325
(818)609-7761
(818)609-7794 (fax)
l...@runquist.com
http://www.runquist.com

IRS Circular 230 Notice

To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that
any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication is not intended or written
to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding
U.S. tax penalties.

This message and any attachments may be protected by the attorney/client
privilege. If you believe that it has been sent to you in error, do not read,
copy or distribute it. Please reply to the sender that you have received the
message in error and then delete it. Thank you.

NOTE:  Emails are not a secure method of communication.  If you do not wish to
obtain future communications from me via email, please advise me immediately.