From: Marc Stern <ste...@ajc.org>
To: 'Law & Religion issues for Law Academics' <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Sent: Wed, Jan 5, 2011 5:27 pm
Subject: RE: The End of NY's Kosher Inspectors

The first permanent Kosher law was enacted in NY in 1917 to combat what was then rampant an open fraud in the sale of kosher meat( Its constitutionality against a due process vagueness challenge was upheld by the US Supreme Court.). I summarized this history in an article I wrote in the journal Judaism about 15 years ago ,but it is not available on line.(Kent Greenawalt wrote something subsequently.) There is also a good but hard to get book on the subject whose name   I would have to dig out. More recently, the New York, New Jersey, Maryland (Baltimore) and Georgia laws were invalidated because they allowed the state to decide a religious question-was the food kosher. Now all states work on the basis of mandatory disclosure statements and the inspectors simply police the presence and accuracy of those statements.

Marc D. Stern
Associate General Counsel
for Legal Advocacy

ste...@ajc.org
212.891.1480
646.287.2606 (cell)

NOTICE
This email may contain confidential and/or privileged material and is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, disclosure, copying, distribution or other transmission is prohibited, improper and may be unlawful.  If you have received this email in error, you must destroy this email and kindly notify the sender by reply email.  If this email contains the word CONFIDENTIAL in its Subject line, then even a valid recipient must hold it in confidence and not distribute or disclose it. In such case ONLY the author of the email has permission to forward or otherwise distribute it or disclose its contents to others.