From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of artspit...@aol.com
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2011 5:25 PM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: Settlement or extortion?

I suspect the [Texas] Capital Area Rural Transportation System had liability
insurance covering this risk and that this case was settled by the insurance
company's counsel, who could care less about the principles involved, or
even about the legal merits except insofar as they affect the settlement
value of the case.  With ACLJ representing the plaintiff, defense counsel
reasonably would have anticipated having to litigate the case to judgment in
the district court and then in the 5th Circuit, at a cost undoubtedly far
exceeding the $21,000 settlement.

You can call that extortion if you want to, but Texas does have a state
RFRA, and how different is this case from the thousands of lawsuits filed
every year in which one party settles despite believing that it has a
meritorious claim or defense, knowing that it faces a determined opponent
with a deep pocket?  Opposing counsel often tell me that my clients' cases
have only nuisance settlement value.  (Often I prove them wrong.)

By the way, I gather from the news report that this was not the driver of a
bus on a fixed route that happened to go near Planned Parenthood.  The story
says, "The system, operated under an agreement among participating counties,
offers bus service on fixed routes and through requested pickup ...." and,
"After he was dispatched to take the women to Planned Parenthood in January,
Graning called his supervisor "and told her that, in good conscience, he
could not take someone to have an abortion."

Art Spitzer