I take it that this doesn't change anything re family service agencies and
adoptions by same-sex couples, for example, and the like.

sandy

From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Ira Lupu
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2011 4:33 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: The religious exemptions in the new NY same-sex marriage law

Perhaps the first language in bold expands which religiously affiliated orgs
are covered, but the substantive result seems no different from the language
Marty reported earlier -- religious entities need not host same-sex weddings or
celebrations of weddings.   No private lawsuits and (I guess this was an
important addition) no loss of public benefits if they refuse to host such
events.  The religious liberty side of this debate got some cover, but they
didn't get much else as far as I can see.  If I'm wrong, please correct me.
On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Marty Lederman