Perhaps someone should do some legal research into NY law to see exactly
what the pre-existing law is re: rental of housing, etc., by religious
organizations.  I'm sure that would shed some light on this conversation.
Without it, we're all just speculating.

I believe that the language referring to the "taking [of] such  action  as
is
  calculated by such organization to promote the religious principles  for
  which it is established or maintained" also appears in other NY statutes
and, at least in the employment context, limits the co-religionist exemption
-- that is, the organization may not just exclude non-co-religionists per
se.  It must show why it is necessary to do so to promote its principles.
Here the language is in the conjunctive, so the warrant may be broader.  But
recall that the new SSM law says "Nothing  contained  in this section shall
be construed to bar . . ." which can't possibly be read as an authorization
to do anything that was otherwise barred (if it's otherwise barred, the
other laws that bar the conduct remain in effect).