From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Marty Lederman
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2011 8:02 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Widmar v. Vincent redux, though in a traditional public forum?

I suppose I should have written "religious worship services standing alone."
If I recall correctly, the premise of the CTA2 decision in Bronx Household is
that if -- unlike in Widmar -- a state generally treats religious expression
and nonreligious expression equally, and imposes a restriction only on
religious worship services, not because of the content or viewpoint of those
services, but because they are functionally unlike any of the other permitted
uses, the Widmar/Good News line of cases does not govern the case.  I doubt the
SCOTUS will buy it, but that's the theory.
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Volokh, Eugene